Archbishop Michael in 1957, having seen the need for a facility to serve the growing number of Greek Orthodox elderly, appointed the first Board of Trustees of St. Michael’s under the aegis of the Archdiocese. That same year, the trustees purchased a building in Yonkers and within 10 months, the then 60 year old building was completely renovated. On May 25, 1958, the community celebrated the opening of the Home, known then as the “Spiti Tou Protoporou” (the Home of the Pioneer) since the first residents were the “pioneers” of the Greek American community here in the United States.
Towards the end of the 1980’s, wings were added on either end of the existing structure to increase the capacity of the facility to 60 residents and to provide additional ancillary space. Since then St. Michael’s has continued to improve and enhance the daily life and care of its elderly residents.
It has become increasing apparent if we are to remain true to our mission as set forth by Archbishop Michael and affirmed by all succeeding Archbishops, we must increase both the occupancy of the facility, and more importantly, the level of care.
Currently, we more than meet the needs of the population we are licensed to care for, but there are so many more who would benefit from being at our Home. Approximately 5.1 million American elders over 65 have some form of dementia and for those over 85, nearly half. Because of the aging process, we must transfer to nursing homes 12-25 residents in any given year who call Saint
Michael’s their home! Separated from those they have befriended and placed in a an unfamiliar facility where they are not in the same loving Greek Orthodox environment with our Faith and traditions a daily routine…nothing could be more traumatic!